National Mathematics Day is celebrated every year on December 22 across the nation. This day is marked to commemorate the birth anniversary of mathematical genius Srinivasa Ramanujan. This day is observed to raise awareness about the significance of maths in our day-to-day lives.
The day was first declared on February 26, 2012, by the then Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh.
Following that, he visited Madras University to pay tribute to Ramanujan’s achievements for his 125th birth anniversary. Since then it has been celebrated on December 22 annually.
Here’s a list of 5 Famous Indian Mathematicians from Ancient to Modern India:
If it wasn’t for Aryabhata, we wouldn’t have known the number ‘0’. He is the one who discovered the value Born in 476 CE, he successfully made his mark across the globe for propagating certain theories of mathematics which till today are followed in mathematics.
He is the first Indian mathematician to provide the formula for cyclic quadrilaterals. Born between 598–670 CE, Brahmagupta was the one to invent the Fibonacci Identity. Besides that, his major contribution was the introduction of ‘0’ and the fact that it stood for nothing. He also gave to the world the sine table as well as the Pythagorean Triples.
Born in the 9th century CE, Mahavira has made huge contributions to the development of Algebra. He was the first one to segregate Astrology from Mathematics.
Impeccable genius Srinivasa Ramanujan is the one who coined the idea of “taxicab numbers”. He also contributed to the analytical theory of numbers, elliptic functions, continued fractions, and infinite series. He discovered his theorems.
5. Shakuntala Devi
Born in 1929, she is best known as a ‘human calculator’. On June 18, 1980 she demonstrated the multiplication of two 13-digit numbers 7,686,369,774,870 x 2,465,099,745,779 picked at random by the Computer Department of Imperial College, London, in just 28 seconds. Devi’s speed and accuracy in mental calculations were unbelieving. She made it to the Guinness Book of World Records for her great ability and was titled as ”fastest human computation”. Apart from that, Devi also applied her mathematical strength to pursuit of astrology. She is undoubtedly a woman with outstanding talent and outrageous world records!
Mathematics day 2021 Quotes and Images
- Education is not just about going to school and getting a degree. It’s about widening your knowledge and absorbing the truth about life.” – Shakuntala Devi
2. “Mathematics is a game played according to certain simple rules with meaningless marks on paper.” -David Hilbert
- “Since the mathematicians have invaded the theory of relativity, I do not understand it myself anymore.” -Albert Einstein
- “Mathematics is the most beautiful and most powerful creation of the human spirit.” – Stefan Banach
- “Mathematics is the queen of science and gives you the power to solve problems!!!”
Mathematics day 2021 Wishes and Messages
- Here are some messages or wishes that you can share to your maths teacher or Maths professors Mathematics is all about concepts, and you are all about working on your students. Wish you Happy Teacher’s Day!
- Mathematics is all about concepts, and you are all about working on your students. Wish you Happy Teacher’s Day!
- “Let us celebrate National Mathematics Day by keeping aside all the fears for math and embracing this subject with love.”
- Wishing my maths teacher a happy teacher’s day through this text. I hope you continue mentoring me in mathematics.
- Heartiest teacher’s day wishes for my lovely maths teacher. You gave me the formula of success!
- Karan Johar donates Rs 11 lakh to Assam Chief Minister Relief Fund
- Viruses can change your scent to make you more attractive to mosquitoes: Study
- Mizoram CM inducts journalist into party, says MNF in recruitment drive
- Rejuvenate Arunachal springs to solve drinking water problem: Expert
- Over 100 students from Sikkim Manipal infected by Nairobi Fly
- Mizoram: Aizawl to soon get two motorable flyovers