Guwahati: A group of 60-70 resident doctors from Guwahati Medical College and Hospital (GMCH) held a protest Saturday morning against the delay in the NEET PG counseling for the year 2021.
One of the reasons behind the delay is the Covid-19 pandemic, due to which their exams were postponed. However, the examination was later held on September 11.
Another bone of contention is the 27 per cent reservation for Other Backward Class (OBC) and 10 per cent for the EWS category for admission to PG seats. Following this development, general category doctors had filed a PIL before the Supreme Court.
Also, the decision to categorise families whose annual income is less than Rs 8 lakh as EWS has also attracted a lot of criticism. The matter is before the Supreme Court for hearing following a fresh PIL.
Joydeep Paul, a junior resident doctor at GMCH, said, “First they delayed our exams by nine long months and then comes the government’s decision of introducing a new bill. It is all so confusing. There are very few doctors serving as both health care workers and as Covid frontline workers.”
“The patient rate is increasing every single day, hence a lot of doctors are required to treat them. Being a doctor, my principal concern is that things should expedite. A final and fruitful decision should be taken. It’s just getting delayed,” he added.
The apex court had stated that it would pass a hearing in October after their results are declared but it has been pushed to November 15 and and then November 24.
Now the final hearing date has been pushed to January 6, 2022, clearly indicating that no counseling shall proceed until the next hearing.
Also read: Sikkim: 50 MBBS seats reserved for Sikkimese students at SMIMS
- Abrupt floods and drought-like situations in Assam disrupt farming practices
- Assam: Bodofa Upendra Nath Brahma’s birth anniversary observed in Boko
- BJP conspiring against Rahul Gandhi to not let him contest 2024 LS polls: Mizoram Cong
- Assam: Oppn MLA moves bill for land rights in Brahmaputra’s char-chaporis
- Retail inflation for industrial workers remains flat at 6.16 pc in February
- Assam Cabinet approves DA hike for govt employees