Muzaffarnagar (UP): A special POCSO court in Shamli district’s Kairana on Saturday convicted a man of raping a five-year-old girl and sentenced him to life imprisonment.
The verdict was delivered in a little over four months from the date of the incident.
A fine of Rs 50,000 was also imposed on Sabir, the convict, after Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) judge Mumtaz Ali held him guilty under IPC Section 376 (rape) and POCSO Act.
According to special POCSO advocate Pushpendra Malik, the girl is a native of Shamli.
On June 15, she got lost in the crowd at Rampur Maniharan railway station and hence went astray from her parents. Finding her alone, Sabir took advantage of the situation and raped her.
The Government Railway Police (GRP) had registered a case and filed a chargesheet. Sabir was soon arrested.
- Experts identify 63 Australian animals likely to go extinct by 2041
- Pakistan’s ex-PM Imran Khan calls for march to Islamabad on May 25
- Ethnic poverty: dividing and excluding people keeps them poor
- Lankan court extends travel ban on ex governor of Central Bank of Sri Lanka
- The Johnny Depp-Amber Heard trial shows the dangers of fan culture
- Beijing bristles at Biden’s ‘yes’ for US military intervention if China invades Taiwan