Gangtok: Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu, who was set to come to Sikkim for the inauguration of Bhaichung Stadium on October 22, has had to cancel his trip once again.
Bad weather in Sikkim and neighbouring Darjeeling had forced the cancellation of the stadium’s inauguration on October 20 as well.
This time too inclement weather is cited as the reason for the cancellation of the trip, though the weather has cleared up in Sikkim on Thursday, October 21. The vice president was scheduled to visit Sikkim and Darjeeling from October 22-24.
A statement from Sikkim Home Department said, “With deep regret, we are to inform you that the visit of Vice President is again rescheduled to future date. However, we are awaiting written communication from Vice President’s Secretary on the matter. Home Department is highly thankful to all concerned officers for putting their best efforts for the visit for the 5th time. Inconvenience caused to each of you is deeply regretted.”
Sources in the government have informed that the state government is planning to carry out the inauguration of the stadium on October 31, with or without the presence of Vice President Naidu.
Considerations were being made for the inauguration to be carried out by Governor Ganga Prasad, sources said. However, the same has not been officially confirmed by the state government.
- Over 1.47 lakh children lost their parents since April 2020: NCPCR to SC
- Want to improve my senior ranking, qualify for Olympics: Tasnim Mir
- Cold day conditions likely in parts of national capital
- New Songs Sunday: Check out these songs by Katy Perry, Alesso and Sean Paul!
- GAIL director arrested by CBI in bribery case
- West Bengal govt assesses crop damage due to unseasonal rain