Shillong: Thma U Rangli-Juki (TUR), a progressive people’s group in Shillong, has filed a police case of criminal defamation against Facebook page ‘Ka Tynghung Na Rilum‘ and its administrators for making libelous and defamatory claims against TUR members and sharing it on various social media platforms.
TUR leader Angela Rangad, in a press statement, said this circulation of false and defamatory claims regarding TUR members being given money to speak up on the Meghalaya government’s plan to evict people from Them iew Mawlong/Punjabi Line is meant to suppress truth telling and silence dissenting voices.
The statement said the TUR hopes that Meghalaya police will do a quick investigation into the case and chargesheet the guilty to ensure that “people do not use lies and violent speech to suppress democratic culture in Meghalaya.”
It further stated that the TUR insists that issues have to be debated upon even when people and groups hold differing opinions, as that is the only way to arrive at long lasting and just solutions that will build the society and democracy.
- Omicron unravels travel industry’s plans for a comeback
- Sikkim: 2 trampled to death by SUV taxi on Gangtok’s MG Marg
- Severe Covid survivors may have high death risk within 12 months
- Manipur: Insurgent hideout busted in Kangpokpi, arms seized
- Increased pregnancy, birth-related complications linked to COVID
- Book seeks to decode enigma around goddess Kamakhya