New Delhi: The BJP on Saturday named Union ministers Sarbananda Sonowal and L Murugan as its candidates for the Rajya Sabha bypolls in Assam and Madhya Pradesh respectively, according to a party statement.
Both leaders were recently inducted into his Council of Ministers by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, necessitating their elections to Parliament in six months.
Their election to the Rajya Sabha is all but certain as the BJP has a majority in the both state assemblies.
In Assam, a Rajya Sabha seat fell vacant after Biswajit Daimary resigned to become the assembly speaker.
In Madhya Pradesh, the vacancy emerged after the then Union minister Thaawarchand Gehlot resigned following his appointment as Karnataka governor.
- Sikkim: Citizen Action Party proposes ‘peace’ with SKM on Gandhi Jayanti
- Interview: Kenny Basumatary’s journey from ‘Local Kung Fu’ to ‘Jawan’
- Police Bust Illegal Cough Syrup Factory in Meghalaya
- Arunachal: ULFA-I cadres surrender to Assam Rifles, weapons handed over
- Tragic bridge collapse to delay inauguration of Mizoram railway project
- Arrests made in Manipur student murder case, tribal forum questions investigation