Gangtok: The Sikkim government on Saturday announced that all schools and colleges in the state would be closed till October 31 after students of some schools were reported to have tested positive for COVID-19.
Education Secretary GP Upadhaya said schools and colleges in the state were opened on September 6 with a functioning capacity of 50 per cent staff. In schools, classes were being held for students of standard 9 and above.
However, after some schools reported that at least five students were found to be COVID-positive, it was decided to shut the educational institutions in the state again till October 31, he said.
COVID-positive cases were reported from government schools in Namthang in South Sikkim, Rhenock in East Sikkim and Yuksom in West Sikkim, besides a private school at Mangan in North Sikkim district, he added.
“The state government is very concerned that if the schools are not closed the chances of more cases coming up are very high,” he said.
All primary contacts of the infected students were being traced and more cases could be reported, the education secretary said.
“This is a state-wide trend and we do not want to compromise with the health of the students, which is why the state government has decided to close all schools and colleges,” he said.
- Northeast: Share a 2-minute video, show the world you are ‘Fit for Life’
- Assam BJP to enrol 18 lakh members
- PM CARES not government fund; works with transparency: HC told
- Bhabanipur bypoll: Man arrested for spreading communal WhatsApp texts
- Khanapara Morning Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara lottery for September 23
- Assam: 45 high schools upgraded to higher secondary