Karimganj (Assam): A 43-year-old man has been arrested in Assam’s Karimganj district for allegedly raping a mentally challenged minor girl, police said on Monday.
The man had allegedly raped his 17-year-old neighbour on Saturday, officer-in-charge of Badarpur Police Station Dipak Saikia said.
The girl was alone in the house and was strolling in the backyard when the accused dragged her into a room and allegedly raped her.
We have arrested the man and a case under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act has been registered against him.
Since the girl is a minor and mentally challenged, her statement has been taken very carefully and she is undergoing a medical examination, Saikia said.
Also read | Assam: AMCH doctor arrested on rape charges
- Manipur: Security forces launch joint combing operation
- Guwahati-based startup TechVariable to take part in Dubai World AI show
- Why is PM still silent on Manipur, asks Cong
- CBI raids multiple locations in Bengal linked with job scam in civic bodies
- Footballer Ngangom Bala echoes calls for peace in Manipur
- Now, you can plant trees in Nagaland from the comfort of your homes. Here’s how