Karimganj (Assam): A 43-year-old man has been arrested in Assam’s Karimganj district for allegedly raping a mentally challenged minor girl, police said on Monday.
The man had allegedly raped his 17-year-old neighbour on Saturday, officer-in-charge of Badarpur Police Station Dipak Saikia said.
The girl was alone in the house and was strolling in the backyard when the accused dragged her into a room and allegedly raped her.
We have arrested the man and a case under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act has been registered against him.
Since the girl is a minor and mentally challenged, her statement has been taken very carefully and she is undergoing a medical examination, Saikia said.
Also read | Assam: AMCH doctor arrested on rape charges
- Assam BJP to enrol 18 lakh members
- PM CARES not government fund; works with transparency: HC told
- Bhabanipur bypoll: Man arrested for spreading communal WhatsApp texts
- Khanapara Morning Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara lottery for September 23
- Assam: 45 high schools upgraded to higher secondary
- NE has been converted into heartland from hinterland: Union minister