Cristiano Ronaldo looked very disappointed after Portugal exited the European Football Championship, 2020. The defending champions suffered a narrow 1-0 loss to a wonder strike from Thorgen Hazard. Ronaldo threw away his captain’s arm band after the defeat, and kicked it in disappointment.
The video of this has gone viral on social media.
Belgium, who have never won a major trophy in football before, will next face Italy in Munich on Friday.
Ronaldo’s disappointment was evident as soon as the final whistle blew. ESPN posted a video of the moment.
Ronaldo was unable to get the one goal he needed to set the record for most goals in international football and overtake Iran’s Ali Daei.
Belgium on the other hand, had to play most of the second half without their talisman Kevin de Bruyne, who got injured.
“Lucky, eh? (The ball) didn’t want to get in today! Good luck man,” Ronaldo told former teammate and Belgium goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, and hugged him.
After the loss, fans are empathizing with Ronaldo. Check reactions below:
- Netflix’s Lady Chatterley’s Lover reduces this tale of class conflict to a simple love story
- RBI likely to moderate interest hike: Experts
- Ventilation reduces the risk of COVID. So why are we still ignoring it?
- Does fake behaviour strike a chord with the corrupt?
- West Bengal planning green hydrogen plant in Durgapur
- Prior sanction required for direction to register FIR for hate speech, says court