Shillong: The Indian Meteorological Department has forecast increase in rainfall from Sunday night or Monday onwards for the next 4-5 days.
According to IMD Shillong, heavy to very heavy rains (7 to 20 cm) is expected in Jaintia Hills, East Khasi Hills, South West Khasi Hills and East Garo Hills. Moderate to heavy rains in other parts of Meghalaya.
The department also informed that the Southern parts of East Khasi Hills such as areas of Sohra, Mawsynram and adjacent areas are expected to get Extremely Heavy Rainfall (>20cm).
Monsoon in Northeast India started on June 6. Under the influence of strong moist south-westerly winds, fairly widespread to widespread rainfall is expected in Meghalaya during the next 4-5 days.
From June 1, 2021, to date, Meghalaya has received 469.4mm rainfall which is 34 per cent less than the normal rainfall of 707.3mm.
According to an official, if the state gets good rainfall as expected in the next few days then this rain deficit may decrease.
• Localized Flooding of roads, water logging in low lying areas
• Occasional reduction in visibility due to heavy rainfall.
• Disruption of traffic in city areas due to waterlogging in roads leading to increased travel time.
• Minor damage to kutcha roads.
• Possibilities of damage to the vulnerable structure.
• Interruption to some utilities and services.
• Localized landslide/Mudslides.
• Avoid going to areas that face water logging problem often.
• Avoid staying in a vulnerable structure.
• Be updated about riverine flooding. Follow Central Water Commission for more information.