Agartala: Amidst the surge in coronavirus cases in Tripura, parents do not want the secondary and higher secondary board exams to be conducted.
Of the total 46,768 people who voted, 86.86 percent voted against and 13.14 percent in favour of conducting the examinations by the Tripura Board of Secondary Education (TBSE).
The Tripura government had sought to consult parents of students due for secondary and higher secondary examinations on whether or not to conduct the exams during the ongoing second wave of COVID-19.
A total of 16.75 percent of parents voted in favour of conducting the secondary examination and 83.25 percent voted against. Similarly, 9.94 percent voted for the higher secondary examination and 90.06 percent against the exams.
As a result, it has become certain that secondary and higher secondary examinations will likely be cancelled in Tripura.
The education department is in a dilemma with the secondary and higher secondary examinations due to the coronavirus situation. While on the one hand it’s about the future of the students, on the other hand it’s their safety.
While the Tripura government is concerned about deciding what should be given priority, no decision was taken in a high-level committee meeting on Wednesday.
Recently, the education department had asked parents for their opinion through online voting. The deadline to vote for or against conducting exams ended at 6 pm on Tuesday.
According to the data shared by the education department, 21,976 parents voted online about the secondary examination, of which 3,681 voted in favour of the exams to be held at the rate of 16.75 percent. On the other hand, 83.25 percent or 18,295 people voted against the exam.
Similarly, 24,792 parents sent their vote on the higher secondary examination. 9.94 percent or 2,464 parents voted in favour of the examination to be conducted. However, 90.06 percent or 22,328 people voted against the conduct of exams.
A total of 6,145 people wanted the examination to be conducted and 40,623 people voted against it. Now, the department of education is expected to prioritize the views of the majority of parents. The education department will meet again on June 21 to take the final decision on conducting the board examination.
- Covid long-haulers may experience abnormal breathing, chronic fatigue
- Arunachal brand ambassador Sanjay Dutt says won’t leave state anytime soon
- Manipur CM lays foundation stone for 50-bed hospital in Noney district
- Watch: Why this is a make-or-break year for Kaziranga’s tourist economy
- No case of Omicron variant reported in India so far: Govt tells Parliament
- Mamata ‘gravitating force’, more people will join her: Mukul Sangma