GUWAHATI: Assam’s Gossaigaon constituency legislator Mahendra Narzary died of post COVID-19 complications on Wednesday morning.
The 68-year-old MLA of the Bodoland People’s Front (BPF) breathed his last at 5.30 am at the Guwahati Medical College Hospital (GMCH).
Narzary had tested negative for COVID-19 a few days ago, but his health condition deteriorated due to post COVID-19 complications and he had been put on ventilator at the GMCH.
On Tuesday night, Assam health minister Keshab Mahanta paid a visit at GMCH to take stock of Mahendra Narzary’s health condition.
Assam chief minister Himanta Biswa Sarma expressed his grief over the demise of Narzary, a four-term MLA from Gossaigaon constituency.
“I am pained to learn about the untimely demise of Gossaigaon MLA Majendra Narzary. A dedicated social worker, committed politician and deeply loved, his absence shall be sorely missed. My heartfelt condolences to the family and prayers for eternal peace of the noble soul,” the CM tweeted.
Senior Congress leader of Assam Ripun Bora has also expressed his grief in a tweet: “Extremely saddened at the sudden demise of our Mahajot partner MLA of BPF, Majendra Narzary. My heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of late Nazary. May his soul rest in eternal peace.”
In the last 24 hours, Assam reported 92 COVID-19 deaths and detected 5,767 new cases. The total number of positive cases in the state state as per NHM report stands at 3,81,171.
- Guwahati pedals for change with Mountain Bike race
- Bharat bandh fails to evoke much response in Tripura
- Meghalaya entrepreneur receives special gift from CM Sangma
- Nagaland reports 17 new COVID cases, 1 more fatality
- NSCN(IM) invited to Delhi to continue talks: Nagaland CM
- Naga leader murder: JAC calls for 48-hr strike, Manipur govt seeks more time to meet demands