England cricketers have jumped to the defence of their teammate Moeen Ali after Bangladeshi author Taslima Nasreen‘s objectionable tweet targeting Ali.
In a new deleted tweet, she said, “If Moeen Ali were not stuck with cricket, he would have gone to Syria to join ISIS”.
Teammates Jofra Archer and Sam Billings called out her distasteful tweet. Calling her remarks “disgusting”, Billings requested people to report Nasreen’s account. While Archer responded to her tweet with concern, he wrote: “Are you okay ? I don’t think you’re okay”.
In a bid to do some damage control, the author posted a second tweet clarifying that it was “sarcastic.”
She wrote, “Haters know very well that my Moeen Ali tweet was sarcastic. But they made that an issue to humiliate me because I try to secularize Muslim society & I oppose Islamic fanaticism. One of the greatest tragedies of humankind is pro-women leftists support anti-women Islamists.”
Replying to her justification, Archer wrote, “Sarcastic? No one is laughing, not even yourself, the least you can do is delete the tweet.”
Not just Moeen Ali’s teammates, but netizens have also lambasted Nasreen for spewing islamophopic hatred on Twitter.
This is how they reacted:
- Sikkim logs 40 new COVID-19 cases, 1 fresh fatality
- Fixed-wing flight services to remote towns of Arunachal Pradesh
- PM urges people to ensure no one is left out of vaccination’s ‘circle of safety’
- Sikkim districts to undergo nomenclature change: CM Golay
- How this social entrepreneur is championing love for voiceless animals
- Assam: 5 of 6 accused deny charges of instigating Gorukhuti violence