Shillong: Meghalaya health minister AL Hek on Monday informed that the COVID-19 cases in the state are on the rise, and if citizens do not get vigilant there might be a second wave.

“We can see returnees, students, migrant labourers entering the state and so there has been a surge in COVID-19 cases. That is why we keep urging the citizens of the state to be alert otherwise, the cases will continue to rise,” said Hek.

He added that if the situation is uncontrollable, the government would have to opt for lockdown. 

On April 1, Meghalaya had only 50 active cases. However, as of April 4, the state’s total active cases had shot up to 102. 

Hek said that he observed that people were not following COVID-19 protocols during public gatherings, which was not a good sign. 

“If people continue to remain complacent, it will lead to a second wave,” said Hek.

Meanwhile, the health department had recently revised the protocols for people entering the state.

A negative RT-PCR report is mandatory for persons coming from Maharashtra, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Punjab, Delhi, Haryana, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Chandigarh and Gujarat. RAT Negative report shall not be valid for persons coming from these states. The COVID-19 negative report would be valid, only if they were tested within 72 hrs of their arrival at the entry point.

For people who do not have a COVID-19 negative report, a sample for RT-PCR testing shall be taken at the entry point on a payment basis.

The state so far has a total of 102 active COVID-19 cases. The total number of persons who have been vaccinated so far is 34,433. 

Leave a comment

Leave a comment