Imphal: A 44-year-old anganwadi worker from Kumbi in Manipur’s Bishnupur district died on Friday, a week after allegedly taking first jab of the COVID-19 vaccine.
Wahengbam Sundari Devi complained of fever and developed allergies after receiving the first vaccine doze on February 12, family sources said. Assuming those were normal side effects, she took medicine from the local pharmacy without going to the hospital for check-up.
Reports said as Devi’s condition worsened on Tuesday, she was admitted to CHC, Moirang. On Friday, she was referred to a hospital in Imphal due to her worsening health condition, but had to be brought back midway to CHC, Moirang, due to breathing difficulty, reports said.
Devi was put on ventilator support but was declared dead at 6:45 am on February 19. She is survived by her husband, two sons and a daughter.
Her family claimed that Devi had informed the doctor on duty about having recovered from a bout of Asthma a year ago and experiencing allergies before taking the vaccine shot.
Alleging negligence on part of the doctor, locals held a public meeting at Kumbi Lai Sandhong, demanding action against those responsible for her death. Devi’s mortal remains are kept at RIMS mortuary, pending autopsy.
The Anganwadi Workers and Helpers Union of Manipur submitted a memorandum to Chief Minister N Biren Singh, demanding compensation of Rs 50 lakh to the deceased person’s family.
Following his meeting with the workers’ union, the chief minister tweeted his condolences and support for the victim, and assured “strong action against defaulting officers.”
“Heard the grievances of family of Anganwandi Worker W. Sundari of Kumbi Terakha, Bishnupur District and expressed my deep condolences. Assured suitable compensation duly considering post mortem reports and instructed for taking strong action against defaulting officials,” the CM tweeted.
The union demanded the compensation be paid before Devi was cremated, general secretary of the union K Sarita Devi said in the memorumdum submitted to the CM.
The Moirang police station has registered a suo motu case of medical negligence in wake of the protest.