Lalrinenga Sailo, the newly-elected Mizo National Front (MNF) councillor from ward-I, has been named the new mayor of Aizawl Municipal Corporation (AMC), a party leader said.
MNF adviser and rural development minister Lalruatkima said that the meeting of MNF councillor and appointed councillor chaired by deputy chief minister and senior MNF vice president Tawnluia on Friday distributed portfolios.
As per the new portfolios, Lalrinenga Sailo will lead the AMC as Mayor while R. Thanglura, the newly-elected councillor from ward-XII will be the deputy mayor, he said.
The meeting also named four councillors: Lalringliana, Laltlanzova Khiangte, B. Lalawmpuii and H. Zonunsanga as executive councillors.
Also Read: Mizoram: Assam Rifles seizes exotic reptiles, seeds and fertiliser
The swearing-in ceremony for the newly-elected municipal is likely to be held on first March, an official said.
In the AMC polls held on February 16, the ruling MNF won a simple majority by bagging 11 seats, while the main opposition party Zoram People’s Movement (ZPM) bagged 6 and Congress won 2.
The polls results were declared on Thursday.
There are 19 wards in AMC, of which 6 are reserved for women.
Of the reserved seats, ZPM won 5 while MNF bagged 1.
The AMC was established in 2010 under the Mizoram Municipalities Act, 2007.
- Gauhati HC grants bail to jobs scam prime accused Rakesh Paul
- Nagaland Dy CM tells DGP to take action against police found under influence of intoxicants
- World Bank to support Assam to reduce climate-related disasters
- Eric Garcetti sworn in as US Ambassador to India
- Meghalaya paid Rs 250 crore to project consultants in five years: CM
- G20 conference on ‘circular bio-economy’ held in Assam’s Dibrugarh