Lalrinenga Sailo, the newly-elected Mizo National Front (MNF) councillor from ward-I, has been named the new mayor of Aizawl Municipal Corporation (AMC), a party leader said.
MNF adviser and rural development minister Lalruatkima said that the meeting of MNF councillor and appointed councillor chaired by deputy chief minister and senior MNF vice president Tawnluia on Friday distributed portfolios.
As per the new portfolios, Lalrinenga Sailo will lead the AMC as Mayor while R. Thanglura, the newly-elected councillor from ward-XII will be the deputy mayor, he said.
The meeting also named four councillors: Lalringliana, Laltlanzova Khiangte, B. Lalawmpuii and H. Zonunsanga as executive councillors.
The swearing-in ceremony for the newly-elected municipal is likely to be held on first March, an official said.
In the AMC polls held on February 16, the ruling MNF won a simple majority by bagging 11 seats, while the main opposition party Zoram People’s Movement (ZPM) bagged 6 and Congress won 2.
The polls results were declared on Thursday.
There are 19 wards in AMC, of which 6 are reserved for women.
Of the reserved seats, ZPM won 5 while MNF bagged 1.
The AMC was established in 2010 under the Mizoram Municipalities Act, 2007.
- 10 ULB militants arrested in Assam
- Lakhs of crores of rupees donated to PM-CARES, where is that money, asks Mamata
- Assam: More DNLA cadre come overground after signing accord
- Assam CM to move Gauhati HC for judicial inquiry into Sipajhar violence
- Home-grown artisans showcase creativity at 2nd Nagaland handmade jewellery exhibition
- China declares all cryptocurrency transactions illegal