Gorakhpur (UP): A woman has been arrested here on charges of kidnapping after she ran away with a minor girl from her college to Punjab’s Ludhiana in a bid to get married to her, police said on Wednesday.
Both of them are from the Sahjanwa area here and are NCC cadets studying in the same college, they said, adding that they had run away a week ago.
The arrest came after the duo was brought back to Gorakhpur by the police on Tuesday. The cops said they were acting on a complaint by the family of the minor girl who accused the woman of kidnapping her.
“The woman has been sent to jail as the family of the minor girl accused her of kidnapping their daughter. The action was taken on the basis of a case of kidnapping and not on the basis of same-sex live-in, and no action would have been taken if both were adults,” Piprouli police post in-charge Sub-Inspector Abhishek Rai said.
- Sikkim: Seven shops gutted in fire in Pakyong Bazar
- Demand for separate states vs failure of governance in Northeast
- Nagaland 2023: Kohima BJP continues protest over ticket
- Assam: Mixed response to bandh against inclusion of Bodo villages in BTR
- ‘Deadly for democracy’: Ex-SC judge slams Rijiju for ‘diatribe’ against collegium
- Here’s why Gauhati HC junked PIL on police encounters in Assam