Agartala: An idol of Goddess Saraswati was allegedly vandalised by miscreants at Sobhapur, ward number 4 under Sonamura sub-division of Sepahijala district, Tripura on Wednesday.
Speaking with reporters, villagers said that the miscreants on Wednesday vandalised a Saraswati idol, triggering tensions in the area. Police were called to avert any untoward incidents.
The Sonamura sub-division is about 65 km from Agartala and has a population of nearly 3 lakh people.
Also Read: This Tripura story of communal harmony will light up your Diwali
“We organise Saraswati puja jointly by collecting subscriptions from the villagers. Like every year after celebrating the day we left for home around, 1 am last night. On Wednesday morning, we found the idol vandalised,” a villager said.
The Sonamura police launched an investigation based on a written complaint from the residents.
“We have received information about an idol vandalised in the area and according we have taken up a case. The matter is being investigated, and the miscreants involved in the incident would be arrested,” an on-duty police officer said.
- Assam: Submission date under Mission Basundhara 2.0 extended
- Meghalaya: CRPF celebrates ‘Raising Day’ in Tura
- Itanagar police seized heroin worth Rs 90 lakh, arrest 21 peddlers in March
- Palm Sunday 2023: Wishes and greetings for your loved ones
- Tripura to host G20 conclave on clean energy from Monday
- Arunachal: Army personnel dies in landslide, body recovered after 4 days