Agartala: An idol of Goddess Saraswati was allegedly vandalised by miscreants at Sobhapur, ward number 4 under Sonamura sub-division of Sepahijala district, Tripura on Wednesday.
Speaking with reporters, villagers said that the miscreants on Wednesday vandalised a Saraswati idol, triggering tensions in the area. Police were called to avert any untoward incidents.
The Sonamura sub-division is about 65 km from Agartala and has a population of nearly 3 lakh people.
“We organise Saraswati puja jointly by collecting subscriptions from the villagers. Like every year after celebrating the day we left for home around, 1 am last night. On Wednesday morning, we found the idol vandalised,” a villager said.
The Sonamura police launched an investigation based on a written complaint from the residents.
“We have received information about an idol vandalised in the area and according we have taken up a case. The matter is being investigated, and the miscreants involved in the incident would be arrested,” an on-duty police officer said.
- Assam NCC cadet clears SSB, to join IAF as flying officer
- Are you wearing the right mask to prevent contracting Covid-19?
- Manipur tribal leader’s murder: Video shows abduction in police presence; 14 cops suspended
- Arunachal: Single-day recoveries outnumber fresh COVID-19 cases
- BTS and Coldplay release highly-anticipated track ‘My Universe’
- Tripura: Two BSF jawans killed, one injured following scuffle