Agartala: The joy of celebrating Saraswati Puja turned tragic for a school girl after her sari accidentally caught fire while attending the Puja in Belonia sub-division of South Tripura district here on Tuesday.
The girl, identified as Jhuma Dey, resident of Bankar area, is a Class 11 student at the Vidyapeeth High Secondary School. She was reportedly taking a selfie with her friends when her sari accidentally caught fire.
The victim girl and other students tried to douse the fire but failed in multiple attempts.
Later, she was brought to the Belonia sub-division hospital, where the doctor on duty referred her to Gobind Ballabh Pant (GBP) hospital in Agartala. The doctors at the hospital said that she suffered 80 per cent burn injuries. The headmistress in-charge Purnima Deb said that after distributing prasad, Jhuma was taking a selfie along with her friends when the incident occurred.
- Need to end COVID-19 pandemic, our response too slow: UN chief
- ‘Hotel Rwanda’ hero sentenced to 25 years on terror charges
- Rasik Mohan Chakma removed for holding ‘office of profit’
- BTS at UNGA: ARMY call them inspiration for future generations
- BJP worker trampled to death by elephants in Assam
- Heroin worth Rs 3.5 crore seized in Assam’s Karbi Anglong