Patna: The principal and a teacher of a school here have been awarded death sentence and imprisonment for life, respectively, by a court for the rape of a Class 5 student.
Special POCSO judge Awadhesh Kumar, in an order passed on Monday, announced capital punishment for the principal Arvind Kumar besides imposing on him a fine of Rs 1 lakh.
Co-accused Abhishek Kumar, who taught at the school situated in Phulwari Sharif locality of the city, was sentenced for life and slapped with a fine of Rs 50,000.
The case came to light in September, 2018 when the victim, all of 11 years, was found to be pregnant upon being taken to a doctor by her parents who got worried over her frequent bouts of illness.
She narrated her ordeal when the parents pressed her with queries. A case was lodged at the Mahila Thana here under the POCSO Act and relevant sections of the IPC.
- Why people with lung disorder face risk of severe COVID-19 found
- Cong ‘deeply pained, disappointed’ over release of Rajiv Gandhi assassin
- China-funded dam could disrupt key Argentine glaciers, biodiversity
- No money to buy petrol, says Lankan govt; urges citizens not to queue up
- GT look to continue run, RCB need big victory to remain in play-off race
- Pentagon: India may deploy Russian S-400 missile system vs Pak, China