Patna: The principal and a teacher of a school here have been awarded death sentence and imprisonment for life, respectively, by a court for the rape of a Class 5 student.
Special POCSO judge Awadhesh Kumar, in an order passed on Monday, announced capital punishment for the principal Arvind Kumar besides imposing on him a fine of Rs 1 lakh.
Co-accused Abhishek Kumar, who taught at the school situated in Phulwari Sharif locality of the city, was sentenced for life and slapped with a fine of Rs 50,000.
The case came to light in September, 2018 when the victim, all of 11 years, was found to be pregnant upon being taken to a doctor by her parents who got worried over her frequent bouts of illness.
She narrated her ordeal when the parents pressed her with queries. A case was lodged at the Mahila Thana here under the POCSO Act and relevant sections of the IPC.
- Assam struggles to meet national education standards, report finds
- Tripura polls: Left releases manifesto, promises 2.5 lakh new jobs
- Manipur: Three-centuries-old idol desecrated in Imphal
- Agitating Arunachal teachers defer boycott call after govt assurance
- Assam: Ex-student leader facing trial in ULFA blast case tops class in MA exam
- Sustainable finance-related capacity-building measures to be discussed at G20 meet in Assam