Shillong: Following the arrest of Fridays For Future Bengaluru coordinator, Disha Ravi, the Fridays For Future Meghalaya has come out to stand in solidarity with their colleague.
Stating on Monday, Lead Coordinator of Fridays For Future, Joel Kyndiah said Toolkits are a component of democratic strikes and peaceful protest, which seek to raise awareness about the strike and its course of action for the public. Therefore, allegations of international conspiracy via the toolkit and of sedition is far-fetched and an over-reaction.
“The Fridays For Future Meghalaya expresses its solidarity to our colleague and Fridays For Future Bengaluru coordinator, Disha Ravi who has been arrested by the Cyber Branch of the Delhi Police for allegations of Criminal Conspiracy, Sedition and Promotion of Hatred under Section 120A, 124A and 153A of the Indian Penal Code about the “Toolkit”, of the farmers protest, tweeted by Greta Thunberg,” read the statement.
Kyndiah expressed, “It has been said that dissent is the safety valve of democracy. Thus, we hope that Disha’s right to freedom of speech and dissent is not misconstrued as sedition and urge for her immediate release.”
He added that they are a decentralised movement where they are all leaders for the cause of the environment and not a foreign-funded NGO with ulterior motives against the integrity and sovereignty of the country. “We urge all our compatriots to stand in solidarity with us and for our democracy,” said Kyndiah.
- Union Minister Pradhan, Meghalaya CM Sangma grace NEHU convocation
- J-K tunnel accident: 8 more bodies recovered; death toll reaches 9
- After Assam success, Local Utpaat wants to wow audiences in other cities
- In pics: Over 500 families suffering in Imphal amid waterlogging, flash floods
- Drugs worth 15 lakh seized along Nagaland-Manipur border
- Rahul Gandhi harming India in his hate against PM Modi: BJP