Shillong: Following the arrest of Fridays For Future Bengaluru coordinator, Disha Ravi, the Fridays For Future Meghalaya has come out to stand in solidarity with their colleague.
Stating on Monday, Lead Coordinator of Fridays For Future, Joel Kyndiah said Toolkits are a component of democratic strikes and peaceful protest, which seek to raise awareness about the strike and its course of action for the public. Therefore, allegations of international conspiracy via the toolkit and of sedition is far-fetched and an over-reaction.
“The Fridays For Future Meghalaya expresses its solidarity to our colleague and Fridays For Future Bengaluru coordinator, Disha Ravi who has been arrested by the Cyber Branch of the Delhi Police for allegations of Criminal Conspiracy, Sedition and Promotion of Hatred under Section 120A, 124A and 153A of the Indian Penal Code about the “Toolkit”, of the farmers protest, tweeted by Greta Thunberg,” read the statement.
Kyndiah expressed, “It has been said that dissent is the safety valve of democracy. Thus, we hope that Disha’s right to freedom of speech and dissent is not misconstrued as sedition and urge for her immediate release.”
He added that they are a decentralised movement where they are all leaders for the cause of the environment and not a foreign-funded NGO with ulterior motives against the integrity and sovereignty of the country. “We urge all our compatriots to stand in solidarity with us and for our democracy,” said Kyndiah.
- Demand for separate states vs failure of governance in Northeast
- Nagaland 2023: Kohima BJP continues protest over ticket
- Assam: Mixed response to bandh against inclusion of Bodo villages in BTR
- ‘Deadly for democracy’: Ex-SC judge slams Rijiju for ‘diatribe’ against collegium
- Here’s why Gauhati HC junked PIL on police encounters in Assam
- Nepal’s Deputy PM resigns after SC nullifies his citizenship