Aizawl: A 47-year-old Myanmarese national has been arrested in Mizoram for possessing heroin worth Rs 19.25 lakh, an official said on Sunday.
Excise and narcotics department spokesperson Peter Zohmingthanga said that the anti-narcotic squad of excise and narcotics department and Assam Rifles recovered 667 grams of heroin from a forest near New Ngharchhip village in Hnahthial district along the Indo-Myanmar border on Saturday evening.
Hrangkap, a resident of Bung village in Myanmar has been arrested for possessing the contraband, which is believed to be smuggled from Myanmar, he said.
The accused was booked under relevant sections of The Narcotic Drugs & Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985.
He was produced before additional session court on Sunday and if he is found guilty under the NDPS Act, he could be sentenced for 20 years imprisonment and Rs 2 lakh fine, Zohmingthanga said.
- Vaccine at home for differently-abled, people with restricted mobility: Govt
- Manipur: Tribal leader shot dead; Naga rights’ body condemns killing
- Cops, ‘encroachers’ clash in Sipajhar: Assam govt orders judicial inquiry
- China calls for lifting sanctions on Taliban-controlled Afghanistan
- Arunachal: Highway thrills for some, potholes & accidents for others
- Snatching accused shot at while trying to flee, say Assam Police