On February 14, the Special Task Force of the Kolkata Police busted a drug-peddling operation seizing drugs worth over Rs 7 crores. The police arrested total of five people, including a 72-year-old woman from Assam.
Those arrested were identified as Kartik Naidu (27) and Rakesh Thapa (26) from Manipur, Pravati Devi alias Pabitri Devi Jaiswal alias Chachi (72) from Karbi Anglong, Assam, Piyarul Islam (40) and Sadikul Sheikh (31) from Murshidabad.
Talking to media, a senior STF officer said the total weight of the seized heroin is about 2.097 kg. This has a market value of around Rs 10 crore in the international grey market. Along with the heroin, 1.5 lakh pieces of amphetamine tablets worth Rs 7.50 crore were also seized. The total value of the seized narcotic drugs is about Rs 17.5 crores in the international grey market, he added.
The police seized two vehicles in the Cossipore Police Station area. The raid was conducted after a tip off around 6 am on February 14.
- Arunachal: Granddaughter of Mahatma Gandhi visits Ziro
- Taylor Swift and the end of the Hollywood writers strike: A tale of two media narratives
- Former Congress MLA KT Rokhaw resigns, joins MNF ahead of elections
- Manipuri-English film promoting gender-neutral fashion to be screened in Mumbai
- Manipur: Delhi court prolongs NIA custody of accused for eight days
- Meghalaya: 2 boys from Garo Hills set to join Hyderabad FC Under-17 team