Tinsukia: A young woman suffered burn injuries in an alleged acid attack while she was returning home on her bicycle in Assam’s Dibrugarh town on the night of Valentine’s day.
The accused, Buddhadev Das, a father of two has been arrested by the police.
Talking to this correspondent, Deep Sonowal, officer-in-charge of Amlapatty police outpost said, the incident took place around 8.45 pm near Mirzabaag in Amlapatty. “The victim was returning home from her workplace when the accused threw acid on her face. The victim has sustained burn injury on her face and has been admitted at Assam Medical College and Hospital,” added Sonowal.
“During investigation it has been learnt that the accused waylaid the victim outside a bakery shop, where he used to work, and fled after throwing acid on her,” Sonowal said, adding, “The accused was later arrested near his residence, a few kilometres away from his house in Shantipara area in the town.”
In the last few years, Assam has also witnessed stray incidents of acid attack. In 2019, a 25-year-old female teacher was attacked with acid at Ambari area in Guwahati.
- Voting for Tipra Motha is like not giving vote: Himanta in Tripura
- In Meghalaya, a Garo village never got power. Another only got bills
- Rs 1.93 lakh crore military equipment imported between 2017-18 and 2021-22: Govt
- How an obscure US firm profited from sparking Adani’s stock price plunge
- Decoded: Why COVID-19 kills more men than women
- Ultra-processed foods may contribute to cognitive decline