Imphal: After an unidentified person lobbed a hand grenade inside the office of local newspaper ‘Poknapham’ in Imphal on Saturday evening, the Editors Guild of Manipur (EGM) and All Manipur Working Journalists’ Union (AMWJU) jointly decided to halt all news publication and broadcast in protest.
The police said the incident occurred around 6.30 pm at the office of Poknapham situated at Keishampat Thiyam Leikai, Imphal West district. CCTV footage showed the grenade was thrown by a woman who came on a two-wheeler.
However, the safety pin of the grenade was found intact and it failed to explode.
Condemning the incident, the journalist associations have decided a sit in protest at Keishampat Leimajam Leikai from 11 am till 3 pm on Sunday. Following the protest, the two organisations will submit a memorandum to Chief Minister N Biren Singh.
No individual or organisation has claimed responsibility for the incident till the time of filing this report.
- Assam, Mizoram committed to solve border dispute: DCs
- Meghalaya HC wants use of CAPF to stop illegal mining of coal
- Anti-child marriage drive illegal, targeting Muslims: Akhil Gogoi
- More than one in two cancer patients experience long Covid: Study
- Chinese balloons have targeted several countries, including India: Report
- US officials visit Indian Navy base operating leased Predator drones