Guwahati: Lawrence Islary, the former All Bodo Students’s Union (ABSU) general secretary and also a signatory of the Bodoland Territorial Region (BTR) has joined the United Peoples Party Liberal (UPPL).
At a ceremony in Khangklabada of Kokrajhar district, Islary joined the UPPL, which is led by Parmod Boro, BTR chief executive member (CEM) along with many ex-ABSU leaders and workers.
The UPPL president Pramod Boro and BTR chief executive member welcomed Islary and others with the Assamese gamosa and the traditional aronai.
Other prominent faces who joined the UPPL on Thursday were former MLA Parmeswar Brahma, Rabindra Bala Biswas, ex-BTC executive member. Additionally, around 2,000 members from various organisations and parties, including ABSU, Bodoland People’s Party (BPF), and Gana Suraksha Party (GSP) also joined the UPPL.
Boro also hinted that talks are ongoing with the BJP in the ensuing Assam Assembly Elections. With regards to Islary getting a ticket, Boro said that since the former ABSU general secretary has just joined the party he will be given a suitable post and the party will decide on a ticket later.
Islary said he joined the UPPL to work for the all-round development of the Bodoland Territorial Region.
- Tendong Lho Rum Faat: Date, history and celebrations
- Assam police officer arrested for accepting bribe
- Arrested Meghalaya BJP leader not cooperating with sex racket probe: Police
- Boxers Nikhat Zareen, Amit Panghal, and Nitu grab CWG gold medals
- Security beefed up at Kolkata’s Indian Museum after shooting
- EC issues ‘Certification of Election’ to next VP Dhankhar