Aizawl: Mizoram Rajya Sabha member K Vanlalvena on Wednesday urged the centre to reopen border trade centre at Zokhawthar sub-town in Champhai district on the Indo-Myanmar border, an official statement said.
During zero hour of the ongoing budget session, Vanlalvena informed the house that the Indo-Myanmar Border Trade Centre at Zokhawthar has been closed since April last year due to the spread of Covid-19, the statement by state information and public relations department said
He said that vested interests are smuggling illegal goods at seven locations through temporary routes and paths without the knowledge of the state government nor paying taxes, it said.
He cautioned that these routes could be further used for smuggling activities in future.
The MP urged the centre to take necessary steps for re-opening of border trade at Zokhawthar in order to curb illegal trade and to normalise border trade as before, the statement added.
- China-funded dam could disrupt key Argentine glaciers, biodiversity
- No money to buy petrol, says Lankan govt; urges citizens not to queue up
- GT look to continue run, RCB need big victory to remain in play-off race
- Pentagon: India may deploy Russian S-400 missile system vs Pak, China
- USTM ties up with Hong Kong varsity for academic projects
- Mizoram: MNF-Congress stake claim for Mara Council