Shillong: Congress MLA Charles Pyngrope on Wednesday informed that as a family, they have decided not to contest for the by-poll to the Mawryngkngeng Assembly Seat.
The election is the result of MLA David Nongrum’s death, the son of MLA Charles Pyngrope. Pyngrope said that he has informed the party and have asked them to find a suitable candidate to contest the elections.
When asked if he didn’t feel the need to continue the legacy, he said, “I believe that legacy should be remembered rather than continued. You must contribute to society by being a representative. People are free to elect anybody, this ticket doesn’t belong to me it belongs to the party.”
He added that even if the party persisted on having someone from his family, he would decline the offer.
Pyngrope said that we need a candidate who can perform because Congress has a base. “The family will be supporting whomsoever the party deems fit to be a candidate,” mentioned Pyngrope.
Earlier reports had emerged that Congress was planning to field Pyngrope’s daughter, Belinda Abigail Nongrum.
MLA David Nongrum suffered a cardiac arrest who passed away on February 2, 2021, at the age of 42.
- 2 Indian projects among 15 finalists for Prince William’s Earthshot Prize
- Gadkari gets Rs 4 lakh royalty per month from YouTube for lecture videos
- NIA arrests key conspirator in Manipur Rifles arms theft case
- Central govt very keen towards welfare of Kashmiri migrants: Sonowal
- The Wire receives IPI’s Free Media Pioneer Award
- Relief package for telecom sector to aid NE connectivity too: Vaishnaw