Guwahati: A court in Assam’s Hojai district on Wednesday sentenced a man to death for raping and murdering a 5-year-old girl last year.
Additional District and Sessions Judge N Senabai convicted Chandan Harijan of raping and murdering the minor girl under the IPC and Prevention of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act.
The court also slapped a fine of ₹ 5 lakh on the convict, which would be paid to the victim’s family as compensation.
Harijan lured the girl who was playing outside her house to a secluded place, raped her and strangled her to death on February 26, 2020.
The police submitted the chargesheet within two months of filing the case but the hearing did not take place as courts were shut due to the lockdown.
The hearing in the case began in December and 20 prosecution witnesses were heard before the order was passed on Wednesday.
- Nagaland celebrates quinquennial ‘Chozuba citizens’ day’
- Sikkim: Seven shops gutted in fire in Pakyong Bazar
- Demand for separate states vs failure of governance in Northeast
- Nagaland 2023: Kohima BJP continues protest over ticket
- Assam: Mixed response to bandh against inclusion of Bodo villages in BTR
- ‘Deadly for democracy’: Ex-SC judge slams Rijiju for ‘diatribe’ against collegium