Agartala: Two persons have been arrested for allegedly masquerading as reporters and blackmailing and extorting money from leading doctors of the city by threatening to broadcast fake news against them in a YouTube channel, police said on Wednesday.
The two were arrested following complaints by Agartala Press Club.
Among those who had been targetted by the two racketeers were well known pathologist Sanjoy Nath, West Tripura district health officer Sangita Chakraborty and gastroenterologist Amitabha Roy, the police said.
They demanded as much as Rs one lakh from their preys and the doctors had contacted the Press Club for help.
Agartala Press Club secretary Pranab Sarkar said he called the sham reporters and the doctors and discussed the matter in front of other members of the club before handing over the two men to the police.
- Tripura 2023: Cong’s seat sharing with CPI(M) is a sin, says Smriti Irani
- Assam struggles to meet national education standards, report finds
- Tripura polls: Left releases manifesto, promises 2.5 lakh new jobs
- Manipur: Three-centuries-old idol desecrated in Imphal
- Agitating Arunachal teachers defer boycott call after govt assurance
- Assam: Ex-student leader facing trial in ULFA blast case tops class in MA exam