Bhubaneswar: Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Tuesday congratulated ace sprinter Dutee Chand on her nomination for the prestigious BBC Indian Sportswoman of the Year award.
Taking to twitter, Patnaik said: “Congratulations #Odishas ace sprinter @DuteeChand on being nominated for BBC Indian Sportswomen of the year. Wish her the very best and wish her to keep inspiring.”
Odisha Pradesh Congress Committee (OPCC) president Niranjan Patnaik also congratulated Dutee.
“Heartiest Congratulations to @DuteeChand for being nominated for the BBC Indian Sportswoman of the year 2021 award. Odisha is proud of this amazing feat. You are an inspiration for every Odia girl,” the Congress leader said in a twitter post.
Twenty-five-old Dutee Chand is one of South Asia’s fastest sprinter and a national 100 m champion. She hails from a humble background to become one of the most promising sportswomen of the country.
The other contenders for the award this year are shooter Manu Bhaker, chess player Koneru Humpy, wrestler Vinesh Phogat and Indian women hockey team captain Rani.
The winner of the award will be selected through voting. Voting is open until February 24 and the winner will be announced on March 8 at a virtual ceremony in Delhi and on the BBC Sport website.
Indian badminton star and Olympic silver-medallist PV Sindhu had won the inaugural edition of the award in 2020.
- Nobel Prize in literature: Annie Ernaux – an uncompromising author who writes from experience
- Eid-e-Milad 2022: Wishes and greetings for your loved ones
- Fears of watered-down India-UK free trade pact amid visa row
- Assam: Cabinet nod for Rs 190 cr power purchase subsidy to avoid tariff hike
- BJP UP chief tells Rahul Gandhi to start ‘Congress Jodo Yatra’
- Assam: Purnima Devi Barman conferred with World Female Ranger Award