Aizawl: The ruling Mizo National Front (MNF) on Monday announced candidate for the by-election to Serchhip seat, which is due this year, a party leader said.
MNF adviser and rural development minister Lalruatkima said that the meeting of party nomination committee chaired by party president and chief minister Zoramthanga has named party treasurer and former Lok Sabha and ex-MLA Vanlazawma as the party official candidate for the upcoming bypoll to Serchhip seat.
Congress spokesperson Lallianchhunga said the party is yet to announce candidate for the bypoll.
Main opposition party Zoram People’s Movement (ZPM) is yet to announce its candidate.
The bypoll to Serchhip seat was necessitated by the disqualification of ZPM leader Lalduhoma, who won the seat in 2018 assembly polls.
On November 27 last year, assembly speaker Lalrinliana Sailo had disqualified Lalduhoma under the Anti Defection Law following the complainants filed by 12 MNF legislators.
The election commission is yet to announce the bypoll to Serchhip seat.
An election official said that first level checking of EVM will be held between 10 and 12 February after which the ECI will announce the bypoll.
He said that the bypoll was supposed to be held within six months from when the seat was left vacant.
- Abhishek Verma & Co win successive World Cup archery gold medals
- Meghalaya CM to commute to office in electric vehicle
- Tripura: Congress, BJP at loggerheads over ex-CM Deb’s ‘VIP treatment’
- NRC head files complaint against predecessor for data anomalies
- India sees single-day rise of 2,323 COVID-19 cases
- Two govt employees in Assam caught taking bribe, arrested