Guwahati: Ahead of Assam Assembly elections, Kamrup Metropolitan district administration has declared the area around Assam Secretariat as “Protected area”.
District Magistrate Biswajit Pegu issued the order in the “interest of safety and security” and regulate unauthorised movement in the area, except “the bonafide residents and public servants of the Assam Civil Secretariat and other offices attached thereto.”
“No person or group of persons, except the bonafide residents and public servants as mentioned in the para above shall enter into or stay in or pass over or loiter in or around the scheduled area in the vicinity thereof without prior permission from the District Magistrate, Kamrup Metropolitan or any officer duly authorized by him on his behalf or the Commissioner of Police, Guwahati, Assam or the Secretary, Assam Legislative Assembly or an officer duly authorised by him,” the order states.
The area demarcated as protected are-
East: Southern side of the G.S. Road starting from Ganeshguri Flyover up to Super Market Police Point.
South: 60 ft road staring from Super Market Police Point to Last Gate.
West: From Last Gate along the RP Road up to the entry point ALA.
North: From Ganesh Mandir up to Ganeshguri Chariali.
Violation of the order by any person shall be liable to be punished under Sub-Section (5) of Section 8 F of the Act.
- Union Minister Pradhan, Meghalaya CM Sangma grace NEHU convocation
- J-K tunnel accident: 8 more bodies recovered; death toll reaches 9
- After Assam success, Local Utpaat wants to wow audiences in other cities
- In pics: Over 500 families suffering in Imphal amid waterlogging, flash floods
- Drugs worth 15 lakh seized along Nagaland-Manipur border
- Rahul Gandhi harming India in his hate against PM Modi: BJP