Guwahati: Ahead of Assam Assembly elections, Kamrup Metropolitan district administration has declared the area around Assam Secretariat as “Protected area”.
District Magistrate Biswajit Pegu issued the order in the “interest of safety and security” and regulate unauthorised movement in the area, except “the bonafide residents and public servants of the Assam Civil Secretariat and other offices attached thereto.”
“No person or group of persons, except the bonafide residents and public servants as mentioned in the para above shall enter into or stay in or pass over or loiter in or around the scheduled area in the vicinity thereof without prior permission from the District Magistrate, Kamrup Metropolitan or any officer duly authorized by him on his behalf or the Commissioner of Police, Guwahati, Assam or the Secretary, Assam Legislative Assembly or an officer duly authorised by him,” the order states.
The area demarcated as protected are-
East: Southern side of the G.S. Road starting from Ganeshguri Flyover up to Super Market Police Point.
South: 60 ft road staring from Super Market Police Point to Last Gate.
West: From Last Gate along the RP Road up to the entry point ALA.
North: From Ganesh Mandir up to Ganeshguri Chariali.
Violation of the order by any person shall be liable to be punished under Sub-Section (5) of Section 8 F of the Act.
- Meghalaya to be fully connected by optical fibre network, says CM
- NFR assures completion of Dhansiri-Zubza rail line by 2024
- NE is future of sports in India: Arunachal CM Pema Khandu
- 146 participants from 20 countries join Asian Ranger Forum in Guwahati
- After pineapple, Tripura eyes GI tags for shidol, orange, scented lemon
- In a first, Kyrgyzstan wrestler wins Hornbill Naga wrestling C’ship