Guwahati: Angry residents of Nazira in Assam’s Sivasagar district denounced the visit of Congress MLA Debabrata Saikia in the area to lay the foundation stone for road construction.
The public meeting backfired after locals, who have been struggling due to poor road condition since 2010 started shouting slogans against the leader.
All attempts by the leader to calm the locals down fell on deaf ears. Saikia, who is also the son of former Assam chief minister Hiteswar Saikia, was elected to the Assam Legislative Assembly in 2011 from Nazira constituency and retained his seat in 2016.
- Assam: GP Singh takes charge as DGP, pledges to make force citizen-centric
- Nagaland 2023: Two legislators resign from state Assembly session
- Arunachal: Wanted militant of NSCN (IM) arrested from Longding district
- Meghalaya 2023: Will ghost of CBI case haunt Ampareen’s candidacy?
- Nagaland govt and Patanjali Foods ink pact for Oil Palm Plantations
- Assam tea firm honours 30 years of India-Georgia relations with new blend