Senior Congress leader Rahul Gandhi is likely to kickstart the party’s election campaign with a rally in Upper Assam’s Sivasagar on February 14.
“Rahul Gandhi’s Sivasagar rally on February 14 is confirmed,” a top Congress leader told EastMojo.
Another All India Congress Committee (AICC) office-bearer said that Gandhi is likely to address at least four meetings in Assam in February.
Asked if party general secretary Priyanka Gandhi is also expected to visit Assam to campaign, the AICC leader said “we have been trying. But it has not been finalised yet.”
While Congress’ top leadership is yet to start campaigning in Assam, BJP has had several top leaders including Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Home Minister Amit Shah and BJP President JP Nadda visit the poll-bound state.
Prime Minister Modi addressed a public meeting in Sivasagar on January 23. He is again visiting Dhekiajuli in Sonitpur on February 7.
Both the BJP-led alliance and the Congress-led alliance have set a target of winning over 100 seats in the 126 seat Assembly. The elections are likely to be held in March or April.
- Puuluup: Two men in midlife crisis who decided to start living rock & roll lifestyle
- Assam poll panel releases voters’ list for panchayat elections
- Nagorno-Karabakh: Crisis in the Caucasus could destabilise the whole of Eurasia
- Meghalaya: Why this 53-year-old returned to ‘study’ after 35 years
- NFR cancels, diverts, reschedule trains; Check details here
- Meghalaya: Women’s Reservation Bill a false promise, says AICC spokesperson