Aizawl: A total of 66 candidates, including 20 females are in the fray for 19-member Aizawl Municipal Corporation (AMC) polls, an election official said. The AMC polls will be held on February 16.
Mizoram State Election Commission secretary Teresy Vanlalhruaii said 66 candidates, who have filed nominations for the polls, did not withdraw their candidatures till the last of withdrawal on Monday.
The state government on Wednesday announced a public holiday in the AMC area to enable voters to exercise the franchise. There are 19 seats in AMC, of which six are reserved for women. Counting of votes will be conducted on February 18.
This time the municipal poll is expected to see a triangular fight among MNF, Congress, and ZPM. Chief Minister and MNF president Zoramthanga had earlier expressed confidence in winning the polls. The MNF has won all the polls held since it assumed power in December 2018.
A total of 2,18,870 electorates including 1,17,191 female voters will decide the fate of 66 candidates. Polling will be held in 274 polling stations from 7 am to 4 pm where Electronic Voting Machine will be used.
The AMC was established in 2010 under the Mizoram Municipalities Act, 2007. Although the present AMC term had ended on December 10, 2020, and the election was due in the same year, it could not be held due to the spread of COVID-19.
In the last municipal polls held in 2015, the MNF had won a clear majority by bagging 11 seats, while the Congress bagged seven seats and Mizoram People’s Conference (MPC) had won one seat.
- Assam, Mizoram committed to solve border dispute: DCs
- Meghalaya HC wants use of CAPF to stop illegal mining of coal
- Anti-child marriage drive illegal, targeting Muslims: Akhil Gogoi
- More than one in two cancer patients experience long Covid: Study
- Chinese balloons have targeted several countries, including India: Report
- US officials visit Indian Navy base operating leased Predator drones