With assembly elections just around the corner, people of Assam are all set to practice their voting franchise. However, there is a section of people, who, due to lack of any documentation, remain devoid of that power.
The transgender community is often neglected and looked down upon and are cornered to secluded communities, exiled at a tender age, ridiculed and reduced to begging or prostitution for their livelihood. This also reflects in the voters’ list of the Assam State Election Commission, where only 455 people have been registered under the ‘other’ category despite the state having a transgender population of 11,347 as per the 2011 census. EastMojo plunges into the lives of some of the transgender persons in Guwahati to know more about their struggles.
Watch the documentary here:
- 26,964 new COVID-19 cases in India, active load lowest in 186 days
- Meghalaya: Man kills wife, then self, 6-month-old baby found alive
- Assam reports six more fatalities, 441 new COVID cases
- Zee Entertainment, Sony India to merge; Punit Goenka to lead
- Assam: ‘Cattle smuggler’ killed, BSF jawan hurt in gunfight along Indo-Bangla border
- WHO chief thanks India for decision to resume COVID-19 vaccine export