Guwahati: The Chatra Mukti Sangram Samiti, the students wing of Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti (KMSS), observed a 12-hour protest in front of the Guwahati University demanding the removal of CAA and the release of their jailed leader Akhil Gogoi who was arrested and has been facing charges by the NIA. They also demanded the protection of democratic rights.
“On Republic Day, we are observing a 12-hour protest. After Narendra Modi came to power, we have observed that Democratic and peaceful protests are silenced with violence in many parts of the country. When democracy is facing risks, how can one celebrate Republic Day? People should ask questions about the high-handed nature of the Government. We also demand the release of Akhil Gogoi who has been jailed for over a year now and has faced the wrath of this government because of his strong opposition to the government,” said Kashyap Nandan Kalita, a member of KMSS who headed today’s protest.
“The fascist government has no remorse. The way the people of Assam suffered during the CAA protests, and students were beaten and killed is shameful. Still, they are going forward with the CAA which is draconian and can spell doom for the indigenous people,” Arshad, another protestor at the site, told EastMojo.
- Assam: Endangered hogs return home at Manas National Park
- Nagaland: Memorial Football tourney of Kargil martyr from Nov 1-9
- PM’s call for mass drive on Sunday an insult: Manipur TNL
- Assam: Train equipped with state-of-art features flagged off
- No hope of Left’s revival in Tripura, says leader of Oppn Animesh Debbarma
- How a neurosurgeon is training the next gen of Wushu athletes of Manipur