Nath was abducted at gunpoint by a group of miscreants on November 27 from Jairam Para near Katua Bridge under Damchara police station Credit: EastMojo Image

Kanchanpur: The Tripura police recovered the decomposed body of 35-year-old Litan Nath from Rani Para, 50 days after he was abducted, the police said on Friday.

North district superintendent of police Bhanupada Chakraborty said the body was recovered based on information shared by the four members of the banned National Liberation Front of Tripura (NLFT) militants arrested on January 12.

The North Tripura police, along with a team of Sepahijala district police, conducted a joint operation with the inputs shared by the NLFT extremists arrested from Takarjala.

“During the operation, a body was recovered from Rani Para under Khedacherra police station, around 25 km away from Damchara police station. We tried our best to recover Litan Nath alive, but unfortunately, we couldn’t. Now the family will identify the body,” Chakraborty said.

Also Read: Tripura: Man abducted for ransom of Rs 1.5 lakh in North district

The official said the body has been sent to Panisagar sub-division hospital for autopsy and the family members have been also called for identification.

Nath was abducted at gunpoint by a group of miscreants on November 27 from Jairam Para near Katua Bridge under Damchara police station.

Nath’s wife told reporters that some people went to their house around 12.30 am on November 27 and started creating a ruckus.

“As soon as I opened the door, they dragged my husband and started beating him. Our children were asleep at home then. Fearing that they would shoot my little children, I gave the gold earrings and rings. They took Rs 7,000 cash and a bag filled with things from the shop,” she said.

Also Read: Four NLFT militants arrested in Tripura

She also said that she did not understand the language in which the perpetrators spoke amongst themselves. However, they spoke to her in Hindi.

“They had masks and black hats on their faces. They threatened me to pay Rs 1.5 lakh as ransom when they took my husband away,” the wife said.

An official from police headquarters said that the four militants, including one from United Democratic Liberation Front (UDLF) and 3 others of NLFT, had confessed to having abducted and killed Litan Nath during interrogation.

The official said they had suspected the group’s involvement in the abduction of Litan Nath and a case was registered with charges of the same after preliminary investigation.

On Thursday night, the Sepahijala district additional superintendent of police Jyotishman Dhar Chaudhuri left for North Tripura. In a joint operation with North Tripura police, they recovered the body between Vanghmun and Khedacherra police station border.

“Their leaders had instructed them to abduct people and commit the crime,” the official said.

Also Read: Tripura: 3 NLFT rebels held days after extortion notice surfaces

Earlier, police identified the four extremists as Lal Thanga Reang (28), resident of Bhandarima under Anandabazar police station, Jiban Reang (38), resident of Duiganga under Khedachhara police station, Gangaram Reang, resident of Fuldungshei and Singhamani Reang, resident of Hailakandi under Kathichhara police station.

One 9mm pistol, one .22 pistol, one .22 magazine, 18 cartridge rounds, 20 subscription receipts, two TeleTalk Sim of Bangladesh, one each of Airtel and Jio Sim cards, three keypad mobile, one android mobile, one mobile charger, Rs 730 in cash and a small diary were recovered from their possession.

On December 24, four top commanders of the banned outfit had surrendered before the police chief with weapons at the police headquarters.

Returnees from the NLFT-BM group include their ‘foreign secretary’ Rathan Kalai alias Reuben, ‘assistant organizing secretary’ Joy Sadhan alias Jara, ‘assistant public and information secretary’ Madhu Ranjan Noatia alias Yafung and ‘deputy chief of army staff’ Kukila Tripura alias Yarung.

A team of ‘Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Tribunal’ of the Home Ministry had visited Tripura in February this year to record evidence against two outlawed insurgent outfits. The Home Ministry had imposed a fresh ban of five years on the NLFT and ATTF on October 3, 2018, for their violent and subversive activities.

Also Read: Tripura: 3 members of banned NLFT surrender with arms before BSF

Trending Stories

Latest Stories

Leave a comment

Leave a comment