Aizawl (PTI): Areca nuts worth Rs 3.52 crore, suspected to be smuggled from Myanmar, were seized in Mizoram’s Champhai district, an official said on Friday.
Acting on a tip-off, a joint team of Assam Rifles jawans and personnel of the customs department raided a godown on Wednesday and recovered 2,100 bags of areca nut, commonly known as betel nut, he said.
The seized goods are believed to be smuggled from Myanmar through the border in Mizoram and have been handed over to the customs department, the Assam Rifles official said.
No one has been arrested in the case and further investigation is underway, he added.
- Nagaland Assembly resolves to settle border issue with Assam outside Court
- How feasible is it to demarcate Assam-Mizoram border using space tech?
- John Abraham announced as the brand ambassador for MotoGP India
- Nagaland: Paediatric Task Force set up to prepare for COVID-19 third wave
- Arunachal: Traffic wardens call for protest on August 9
- International Beer Day: Lesser-known Indian beers you should try!