Aizawl (PTI): Areca nuts worth Rs 3.52 crore, suspected to be smuggled from Myanmar, were seized in Mizoram’s Champhai district, an official said on Friday.
Acting on a tip-off, a joint team of Assam Rifles jawans and personnel of the customs department raided a godown on Wednesday and recovered 2,100 bags of areca nut, commonly known as betel nut, he said.
The seized goods are believed to be smuggled from Myanmar through the border in Mizoram and have been handed over to the customs department, the Assam Rifles official said.
No one has been arrested in the case and further investigation is underway, he added.
- PIL filed in SC challenging Centre’s decision to ban BBC documentary
- UK PM Rishi Sunak sacks Tory party chief over tax penalty row
- Arunachal CM asks BJP workers not to allow ‘money culture’ during elections
- Widows of deceased employee entitled to family pension: Gauhati HC
- Assam: APDCL to hike power tariff by 50 paise per unit from February 1
- Sikkim to see rallies over SC verdict on Sikkimese Nepali