Aizawl: Opposition Congress on Tuesday announced a list of candidates for the upcoming polls to the 19-member Aizawl Municipal Corporation (AMC), which is likely to be held next month.
State Congress president Lal Thanhawla announced names of 19 candidates, including 6 women, in a function held here.
The Congress president also inducted 103 new members into Congress during the function.
Speaking on the occasion, Lal Thanhawla expressed confidence of winning the AMC polls.
He alleged that the ruling Mizo National Front (MNF) government headed by chief minister Zoramthanga has completely failed in financial management, which adversely affected the state’s economy.
He said that the government has deferred payment of salaries to government employees and failed to pay pension, provident fund and contract bills due to poor financial management.
He said that Congress will reform the state’s economy if voted to power in the next assembly election, to be held in 2023.
Meanwhile, state election commissioner Laima Chozah said the poll panel is yet to notify the AMC polls.
There are 19 seats in AMC, of which 6 seats are reserved for women.
The term of the corporation ended on December 10 last year.
Earlier, the state government has appointed AMC commissioner K. Laldingliana as an administrator to exercise all power and function vested on the municipal authorities till elections are held.
- Pro-Khalistani protesters attack Indian Consulate in San Francisco
- I cannot be intimidated by police, cases: Rahul Gandhi
- Indo-Bangla border along Dhubri ‘hot zone of crime’: Assam CM
- AI route to stem jumbo deaths: NFR, RailTel ink MoU for IDS
- Nagaland: Southern Angami Body lifts movement ban on Mao Nagas
- Assam: IGNCA observes 36th Foundation Day