Four contract workers died, while others were taken ill at the Rourkela Steel Plant in Odisha on Wednesday after inhaling a toxic gas that leaked from a unit.
The victims were working maintenance for a private firm at the coal chemical department of the plant managed by the Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL), a central PSU.
Reports state that the four workers died because of the emission of carbon monoxide from the unit. They were admitted to the ICU of Ispat General Hospital (IGH) where they passed away during treatment. The doctors declared the four dead at 11.40am.
After a preliminary inquiry, it was found that on Wednesday, negligence in the safety adherence led to the fatal mishap at 9.15 am.
The plant authorities have already undertaken relief measures, including jobs for one family member of each of the four workers who lost their lives in the accident. Monetary compensation will also be provided to the affected families.
N. Das, DGM of coal chemical department, and G. Barik, DGM of energy management department, have been suspended. For further inquiry, a high-level committee has been formed.
Chief minister of Odisha Naveen Patnaik reacting to the tragic accident tweeted, “Deeply saddened to know about the tragic loss of lives in the gas leak incident at the Rourkela Steel Plant. My thoughts and prayers are with bereaved families in the hour of grief and pray for the speedy recovery of those who are hospitalised.”