Two journalists from Sivasagar, Assam, were arrested on Wednesday for trying to extort money from a wine shop owner. According to reports, they had been blackmailing the owner since January 2 and were arrested by Gaurisagar Police.
Amitava Sinha, the Superintendent of Police Sivasagar, told EastMojo, “They have been demanding money from the shop owner for quite some time,” adding, “They came today to demand Rs 10,000 from the owner, and we were able to apprehend them.”
Sinha also added, “The duo, Rintu Senchowa, and Chandan Gogoi belong to a web-based media house and they threatened a wine shop owner to pay the said amount or face the raids of police and excise department.” The SP said that the owner then made a complaint to the Gaurisagar Police which resulted in the apprehension by the police.
The journalists, Senchowa hails from Namti and Gogoi hails from Jhanji areas of Sivasagar respectively.
- Assam: Biswanath girl, in shorts, made to wrap curtain to sit for exam
- Not an inch should be given to Assam: Meghalaya Opposition
- Dhoni part of 15-member defence ministry panel on NCC
- Mizo RS member K. Vanlalvena tests positive for COVID-19
- Madras High Court stays certain sub-clauses of new IT Rules
- Virat Kohli will step down as T20 Captain after World Cup In Dubai