Guwahati: In a bid to assist meritorious female students further pursue their education, Assam education minister Himanta Biswa Sarma distributed scooters to 542 female students in Mushalpur, Baksa district.
The two-wheelers were distributed under Dr Banikanta Kakati Merit Award to female students who passed the higher secondary (HS) second-year examinations with first division results under the Assam Higher Secondary Education Council (AHSEC) in 2020.
Tweeting about the ceremony, Sarma said: “Wheels of Empowerment
Pleased to share that today I, along with BJP National Gen Secy & MP Sri @DilipSaikia4Bjp, MP @Naba_Kr_Sarania and MLAs, distributed scooters to 542 meritorious girls students under Dr Banikanta Kakati Merit Award at Mushalpur in Baksa.”
BJP national general secretary and MP Dilip Saikia, MP Naba Kumar Sarania also attended the scooter distribution programme along with Sarma.
A total of Rs 144.30 crore was spent to provide the scooties to 22,245 girl students under the state government’s flagship ‘Pragyan Bharati scheme’. Meanwhile, 22,034 students have opted for petro-driven scooties and 211 of them have opted for a battery-driven one.
- Malignant: An outrageous re-tread of the classic 80s horror with the Midas touch of James Wan
- Limits on airfares to remain for 15 days at any given time: Aviation Ministry
- Fresh COVID-19 cases outnumber recoveries in Nagaland after 9 days
- Amarinder Singh resigns as Punjab CM; says ‘feel humiliated’
- Book explores historical and spiritual landscape of communities in Northeast
- Watch: Can Bar Tshangay Falls become Sikkim’s next tourism destination?