Guwahati: In a bid to assist meritorious female students further pursue their education, Assam education minister Himanta Biswa Sarma distributed scooters to 542 female students in Mushalpur, Baksa district.
The two-wheelers were distributed under Dr Banikanta Kakati Merit Award to female students who passed the higher secondary (HS) second-year examinations with first division results under the Assam Higher Secondary Education Council (AHSEC) in 2020.
Tweeting about the ceremony, Sarma said: “Wheels of Empowerment
Pleased to share that today I, along with BJP National Gen Secy & MP Sri @DilipSaikia4Bjp, MP @Naba_Kr_Sarania and MLAs, distributed scooters to 542 meritorious girls students under Dr Banikanta Kakati Merit Award at Mushalpur in Baksa.”
BJP national general secretary and MP Dilip Saikia, MP Naba Kumar Sarania also attended the scooter distribution programme along with Sarma.
A total of Rs 144.30 crore was spent to provide the scooties to 22,245 girl students under the state government’s flagship ‘Pragyan Bharati scheme’. Meanwhile, 22,034 students have opted for petro-driven scooties and 211 of them have opted for a battery-driven one.
- Antarctic ice age survival story: life seeking ice-free refuges imitates art in Ice Age, the movie
- Covid cases: Govt planning nationwide drill to take stock of hospital preparedness
- Meghalaya: Citizens, forest officials nab illegal timber
- India will become ‘Vishwaguru’ in knowledge: Assam Governor
- Congress protests in Guwahati over action against Rahul
- What Vincent van Gogh’s letters to his family say about why he became an artist