As Assam prepares for state elections in early 2021, Congress MLAs Ajanta Neog and Rajdeep Gowala, and former Bodo People’s Front (BPF) leader Banendra Kumar Mushahary joined Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Tuesday morning.
They were welcomed by finance and health minister Himanta Biswa Sarma, BJP state chief Ranjeet Kumar Dass and party members in a ceremony at BJP office in Hengrabari.
Ajanta Neog, former MLA from Golaghat was recently expelled from Congress for holding a closed-door meeting with Assam CM Sarbananda Sonowal and Himanta Biswa Sarma.
During the joining ceremony, Neog said, “I joined BJP because BJP has plans for the future ahead.” Taking a dig at Congress she said, “A party which has not planned its way forward cannot have a future in politics.”
Welcoming the new joinees, Sarma tweeted, “I heartily welcome my colleague, former Minister, senior @INCAssam leader & MLA @AjantaNeog; Congress MLA Rajdeep Goala & ex BPF MLA Banendra Kumar Mushahary to @BJP4Assam.
Attended the joining ceremony with State President @RanjeetkrDass & Party Karyakartas.”
According to reports, when Union Home Minister Amit Shah visited the state on December 26, both the Congress MLAs has met him.
Losing two MLAs to BJP has, in turn, dealt a major blow to Congress ahead of the state elections likely to be held in the first half of 2021.
- IMF approves USD 3 billion for debt-ridden Sri Lanka
- Indian students urge UK PM to act over English test scandal
- What can we expect from the final UN climate report?
- BJP is just a tenant, not owner of democracy: Cong
- WB govt plotting handing over of state-run edu institutions to pvt sector: JUTA
- Education ministry preparing guidelines for students’ mental, emotional wellbeing: Pradhan