Republic TV editor-in-chief Arnab Goswami paid lakhs of rupees to the former CEO of Broadcast Audience Research Council (BARC), Partho Dasgupta, to increase the Television Rating Points (TRPs) of the two Republic news channels, said Mumbai Police.
According to a report in the Indian Express, Goswami paid Dasgupta lakhs of rupees on three occasions, including once in US dollars, in separate hotels in Mumbai to boost TRPs of Republic Bharat Hindi news channel and Republic TV English news channel.
Dasgupta and Goswami used to work together at Times Now and know each other since 2004.
In a report by TOI, assistant police inspector Sachin Waze, who is heading the probe into the TRP scam said, “In 2017, Goswami paid him (Dasgupta) 6,000 US dollars at a star hotel in Lower Parel and sponsored a trip for Dasgupta and his family to Switzerland and Denmark; in 2018, he paid Rs 20 lakh in cash; and in 2019 he paid Rs 10 lakh at a hotel near the airport.”
In October this year, Mumbai Police registered an FIR alleging TRP manipulation by three TV channels – Republic TV, Box Cinemas and Fakt Marathi.
In November, the police filed a charge sheet against 12 persons for allegedly tampering with the ‘BAR-o-meters’ installed at homes to measure TRPs.
- Exclusive: Thangkhiew was planning blast in Shillong, says Meghalaya CM
- More than 720 children, women rescued by RPF: Official
- ‘Tar’ review: Cate Blanchett’s stellar performance marks the highlight
- Rupee may remain under depreciation pressure: Economic Survey
- Two from Manipur, one from Assam win Sunsilk Mega Miss North East 2022
- Notification issued for Nagaland elections, no nomination on Day 1