Imphal: In what could be termed as uplifting and promoting an indigenous game of Manipur, the Sports Ministry on Sunday announced the inclusion of the state’s indigenous martial arts game ‘Thang-Ta’, besides three other games from different states in the Khelo India Youth Games 2021 to be held at Panchkula in Haryana.
The other three games include Gatka, Kalaripayattu and Mallakhamba.
While announcing the decision, union minister of youth affairs and sports Kiren Rijiju said “I’m very happy to announce that 4 Indigenous Games have been added, along with Yogasana, to Khelo India Youth Games 2021, to be held in Panchkula, Haryana. India has rich heritage of indigenous sports, and it is a priority for the Sports Ministry to preserve, promote and popularise these games.”
There is no better platform than the Khelo India Games where athletes of these games can compete, Rijiju added.
The union minister also assured to add more indigenous sports in the coming years at the Khelo Games.
Taking to his Twitter handle, chief minister N Biren Singh thanked Prime Minister Narendra Modi and union sports ministry Kiren Rijiju for executing the virtue and wisdom, to promote and to support the rich indigenous cultures of our great nation.
Thang-Ta, also known as Huyen Lallong, has been an inseparable element in the history of Manipur and has been practised by the Meiteis for thousands of years to defend their kingdom against foreign invaders. The art of sword and spear requires the internal practice of physical control through soft movements coordinated with the rhythms of breathing.
- 26,964 new COVID-19 cases in India, active load lowest in 186 days
- Meghalaya: Man kills wife, then self, 6-month-old baby found alive
- Assam reports six more fatalities, 441 new COVID cases
- Zee Entertainment, Sony India to merge; Punit Goenka to lead
- Assam: ‘Cattle smuggler’ killed, BSF jawan hurt in gunfight along Indo-Bangla border
- WHO chief thanks India for decision to resume COVID-19 vaccine export