Imphal: The United Naga Council (UNC) on Tuesday sought an explanation from the Manipur government regarding the Kuki Rising Day being included in the state’s ‘restricted holiday’ list.
On December 3, Governor Najma Heptulla, in an order, declared October 17 Kuki Rising Day as a state-restricted holiday.
“UNC would like to know the intention and also question the state government the basis in recognising Kuki Rising Day,” said the Naga apex body based in Manipur.
The UNC asked the state government to come out with clear justification of its aims and objectives at the earliest.
The UNC added that the state government and the people are also well aware of the prevailing situation and sensitivities among all ethnic groups in the state, it added.
In case of failing to act and dispel any misunderstandings among the communities, the Naga body further warned the state government to be held responsible.
- Assam Rifles seize 240 bags of areca nuts worth over 46 lakh
- Sipajhar eviction drive: Police arrest photographer in video
- Assam is on state-sponsored fire: Rahul Gandhi on Sipajhar
- Sikkim reports 62 new COVID-19 cases, one more fatality
- Vaccine at home for differently-abled, people with restricted mobility: Govt
- Manipur: Tribal leader shot dead; Naga rights’ body condemns killing