Assam: The trade license of a Maruti Suzuki India dealer in Guwahati has been canceled by the Assam Transport Department for allegedly selling old vehicles after repainting them.
A person had filed cheating complaints against the dealer at the District Transport Officer (DTO) of Kamrup Metropolitan, Gautam Das’ office, and at the Commissionerate of Transport.
Acting on the complaint, a team of vehicle inspectors and other officials were instructed by the Commissioner of Assam Transport Department, Adil Khan, to conduct a surprise raid at the Poddar Car World showroom in Khanapara, Guwahati.
Also Read: Rare Assamese literary works to be digitised
During the course of the surprise visit, officials found an old car that was allegedly sold after repainting it. DTO Gautam Das said that the officials at Poddar Car World accepted that the car was indeed old, but claimed that it was being sold in the showroom by accident.
Not convinced with this logic, the transport department decided to cancel their trade licence and trade certificate with immediate effect. While a technical investigation has been launched into the incident, the showroom has been banned from selling any vehicle until the probe is underway.
We did not receive a response to an email sent to Maruti Suzuki India until the filing of this report.
Meanwhile, a representative from Poddar Car World told EastMojo: “Even though the showroom has been closed for a while for other reasons, we have not been informed about being banned or that our licence has been cancelled.”
- Border issue: Khasi Hills council chief unhappy over exclusion
- Researchers have figured why COVID cases continue to rise in Mizoram
- RN Ravi formally relieved as interlocutor for Naga peace talks
- Manipur CM Biren Singh shows off football skills in friendly match
- Saree: Netizens wreak havoc on Delhi restaurant for denying woman entry
- Assam Jobs: KGBV Baksa announces teacher vacancies. Details here