Over 60 militants who have surrendered in the recent past will ceremonially lay down arms on December 21, Assam Police sources said on condition of anonymity. Drishti Rajkhowa, the former deputy commander-in-chief of the banned United Liberation Front of Asom (Independent) will be among the group of militants who will take part in the ceremony.
“A ceremony is planned for December 21 where over 60 cadres will surrender,” said a senior official. These over 60 cadres belong to the United Liberation Front of Asom (Independent) and Dimasa National Liberation Army (DNLA). “There may be some cadres of other outfits as well,” the official said.
The function will be organised at Srimanta Sankardeva Kalakshetra in Guwahati.
Sustained action by the security forces have led to arrests and surrender of armed cadres including senior leadership of various militants outfits including the ULFA(I) and DNLA.
Gazaw Dimasa, the self-styled army chief of the DNLA was arrested in January, 2020.
In November, Drishti Rajkhowa, an explosive expert who was holed up on the Indo-Bangladesh border in Meghalaya surrendered to military intelligence. The operation was coordinated by the Unified Command Structure and involved Assam and Meghalaya Police, Indian Army and the central intelligence agencies.
The 50-year-old Rajkhowa had been active in the banned outfit for over three decades.
In January, over 600 cadres of several militant outfits of Assam had ceremonially laid down arms at the Guwahati Medical College and Hospital auditorium. The ceremony was attended by top political leadership and officials of the security establishment.
- Dhoni part of 15-member defence ministry panel on NCC
- Mizo RS member K. Vanlalvena tests positive for COVID-19
- Madras High Court stays certain sub-clauses of new IT Rules
- Virat Kohli will step down as T20 Captain after World Cup In Dubai
- US, UK, Australia launch new trilateral Indo-Pacific alliance to counter China
- Farmers suffering, govt is nowhere, say Meghalaya MLAs